Definition of spinner in English:
1A person occupied in making thread by spinning.
- She claimed to be Clotho, the spinner of the thread of life!
- He spun his stick around in his fingers like a spinner would with thread.
- Demonstrations taking place include basket makers, corn dollies, stick making, coracle maker, greenwood workers, blacksmith, spoon carver, spinners and weavers.
3 (also spinnerbait) Fishing A lure designed to revolve when pulled through the water.
- Although not often recognized as ‘big bass’ lures, spinnerbaits have accounted over the years for many double-digit largemouths.
- That and the trailing grub help to hold the spinnerbait higher in the water column.
- Either way, the one-handed rod was the common denominator for chunking topwater plugs, spinnerbaits and subsurface lures amid the sloughs and backwaters.
3.1A type of fishing fly, used chiefly for trout.
- We flyfished and waded, jigged lures and threw spinners.
- Idly I reeled the little spinner through the blue-green water.
- Flies, spinners and plugs, in fact all types of lures including plastic worms, also live and dead bait all catch these fish.
4A metal fairing that is attached to and revolves with the propeller boss of an aircraft in order to streamline it.
- Oddly, there was a lack of a streamlining spinner over the blunt propeller hub.
- The propeller spinners used by UAL were large hemispherical domes (not pointed) with a black porous coating of rubber.
- Now registered R260Y / Race 52, there had not been time to finish a spinner for the propeller hub.
Definition of spinner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia