- 1Any of a number of different organs through which the silk, gossamer, or thread of spiders, silkworms, and certain other insects is produced.More example sentences
- Orb weavers, like the golden silk spider Nephila clavipes, spin webs out of spinnerets, organs with precise muscle control found on the spider's abdomen.
- Fossilized spinnerets (the organs that spit out the spider silk) that occur in Middle Devonian rocks in Schoharie County, New York, show that spiders have been making silk for at least 380 million years.
- The last two abdominal segments are specially modified into spinnerets which secrete the silk threads for which spiders have become well known.
- 1.1(In the production of man-made fibers) a cap or plate with a number of small holes through which a fiber-forming solution is forced.More example sentences
- A very small amount of zirconium is used in the manufacture of alloys for products such as flash bulbs, rayon spinnerets, lamp filaments, precision tools, and surgical instruments.
- A spinneret plate for producing the thermoplastic synthetic polymer filament has a cluster of four orifices centered about a central point.
- The solution is then passed through a metal plate with fine holes, called spinnerets.
More definitions of spinneretDefinition of spinneret in:
- The British & World English dictionary