(also spinous /-nəs/)
adjectivechiefly Botany , Zoology
- Having spines; spiny: spinose forms will need care in collectingMore example sentences
- The ocelli (eye-like spots) on the spinous dorsal fin of males are metallic blue, surrounded by a golden ring.
- Reproductively active individuals may have a uniform dark gray body with pale abdominal striping and a pale margin on the spinous region of the dorsal fin.
- With their narrow, subrectangular glabellas often carrying paired spines or nodes and spinose librigenal margins they resemble protaspides attributed to lichids.
More definitions of spinoseDefinition of spinose in:
- The British & World English dictionary