noun (plural spintos)
- 1A lyric soprano or tenor voice of powerful dramatic quality.More example sentences
- And if the Met was hoping to find spinto sopranos for the heavier Verdi and Puccini roles that go begging nowadays, the search goes on.
- Essentially a lyric soprano with coloratura (and later spinto) capabilities, she was at home in both Mozart and Richard Strauss, as well as in bel canto and verismo.
- Funny, but to say a voice is a true ‘spinto,’ using the Italian word, is a great compliment, while to say it is ‘pushed’ in plain English is a criticism.’
- 1.1A singer with a spinto voice.More example sentences
- Unlike her husband, who Dioneo suggests is a villain disguised as a marquis, Griselda is not simply a noblewoman in a pauper's clothing; she is, following the logic of the same gloss, a divino spinto.
1950s: Italian, literally 'pushed', past participle of spingere 'push'.
More definitions of spintoDefinition of spinto in:
- The British & World English dictionary