- A large edible crustacean with a spiny shell and long heavy antennae, but lacking the large claws of true lobsters.
More example sentences
- Family Palinuridae: several genera and species, in particular Palinuris vulgaris of European waters, and the California spiny lobster (Panulirus interruptus)
- Without claws, spiny lobsters use their antennae to fend off predators.
- The Norway lobster is a true lobster; but the spiny lobster, which exists in various species in tropical and subtropical waters around the world, is not.
- The house specialties are in shellfish: Maine lobster, spiny lobster, dungeness crab, and live Santa Barbara sea urchin.
More definitions of spiny lobsterDefinition of spiny lobster in:
- The British & World English dictionary