- A galaxy in which the stars and gas clouds are concentrated mainly in one or more spiral arms.More example sentences
- The new Whirlpool Galaxy image shows the spiral galaxy's classic features, from its curving arms, where newborn stars reside, to its yellowish central core that serves as home for older stars.
- Four years ago astronomers reported that the spiral galaxy 2.2 million light-years from Earth was inhaling two dwarf galaxies, M32 and NGC 205.
- Telltale patches of blue light are signs of the formation of millions of new stars in the tangled spiral galaxy NGC 7673.
More definitions of spiral galaxyDefinition of spiral galaxy in:
- The British & World English dictionary