1A system of belief or religious practice based on supposed communication with the spirits of the dead, especially through mediums.
- Spiritism or spiritualism is the belief that the human personality survives death and can communicate with the living through a sensitive medium.
- In a later address on the subject Pink spoke of spiritualism (belief in communication with the spirit of the dead) as the ‘pioneer’ to theosophy.
- In spiritualism, a medium is one with whom spirits communicate directly.
2 Philosophy The doctrine that the spirit exists as distinct from matter, or that spirit is the only reality.
- Would Hindu spiritualism be able to exist with Western materialism?
- Here one can simply cite the evocation of Eastern philosophy and spiritualism in the performance work of Yoko Ono and the installations of Judy Chicago.
- It's interesting to see that Geller drags out Home as evidence for spiritualism, when that matter has long ago ceased to serve the cause.
- Example sentences
- In response, the pointer allegedly moves in such a way as to spell out or point to a spiritualistic and telepathic answer on the board.
- But the terms he uses (haunting, poltergeist, medium, seance) come from a spiritualistic perspective.
- During the heyday of spiritualism, many writers speculated about spiritualistic phenomena, offering concepts of bodily forces as explanations.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of spiritualism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.