Definition of spitball in English:
1A piece of paper that has been chewed and shaped into a ball for use as a missile.
- Avoiding spitballs, paper airplanes, some desks and a couple of students, John made his way to the teacher's desk, where a rather round man was reading the newspaper.
- At this, about a dozen spitballs and crumpled up paper wads made their way towards the girl, testament to the highly bored and volatile class.
- They threatened him and threw paper spitballs at him.
2 Baseball An illegal pitch made with a ball moistened with saliva or another substance to make it move erratically.
- Gaylord Perry succored his Hall of Fame career by often calling upon an illegal spitball pitch.
- He caught every type of pitch imaginable, some that are not legal today such as shine balls, spitballs and emery balls, from some of the greatest pitchers of his day.
- After getting two strikes on Smith with his spitball, Grimes threw him a fastball, something Smith always handled well.
verb[with object] informal Back to top
Throw out (a suggestion) for discussion: I’m just spitballing a few ideas
More example sentences
- Though the film is derivative, the best anime usually is, spitballing liberally from American pop culture - TV's Cowboy Bebop is able proof.
- So for someone who spent three years co-writing two series of Spaced in her own blood, sweat and tears, isn't the idea that you can spitball a 100-minute movie on the spot just a little galling?
- How many of those parents would choose that if there was an alternative that actually did teach, oh I'm just spitballing here, science and math?
- Example sentences
- In the fifth inning of a tied 1920 game, New York Yankee spitballer Carl Mays faced Cleveland shortstop Ray Chapman, who was crowding the plate.
- Maybe it's like how they licensed spitballers after banning it for new pitchers in the 1910s.
- Wet spitballers used saliva, pine tar, tobacco juice, resin, mud, Vaseline, grease and the sweat of their brow.
Words that rhyme with spitballmeatball • stickball • pinball
Definition of spitball in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.