- 1A strip of rigid material used for supporting and immobilizing a broken bone when it has been set: she had to wear splints on her legsMore example sentences
- If a single digit is infected, a finger splint supporting the interphalangeal joints in extension is usually adequate.
- Medications, hand splints and physical therapy can help in earlier stages of rheumatoid arthritis.
- The splint supported the posterolateral part of the lower leg but also had a slight anterior curve.
- 2A long, thin strip of wood used to light a fire.More example sentences
- By the light of burning splints, the raiders had marched all the men into the fields and tied them up.
- Then he cuts a few short splints from the edge of another scrap of wood.
- 2.1A rigid or flexible strip, especially of wood, used in basketwork.More example sentences
- It was employed to create splints for making baskets, skin an animal, fashion snowshoes, harpoons, spears, bowls, and ladles, and make a birchbark canoe.
- Some of us had a chance to beat on a hickory log to make basket splints, or watch gunsmithing, cabinetry, tinsmithing, pottery, printing, and many other trades.
- The vegetation also provided splints from which the Indians wove baskets, which were considered vital for religious use.
- 3A bony enlargement on the inside of a horse’s leg, on the splint bone.More example sentences
- He's got a nasty old splint on the inside of his knee and it often flares up,’ said the Jackdaws Castle trainer.
- In ventral view, the sphenorbital fissure, which is long and oval, is exposed posteriorly and is separated from the relatively small optic foramen by a narrow bony splint.
- Bellamy Road came out of his seventh-place finish in the Kentucky Derby with a splint injury and has not raced since.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Secure (a broken limb) with a splint or splints: his leg was splintedMore example sentences
- There his leg was splinted and eight Tibetan yak herdsmen carried Conan for 17 hours to base camp.
- It really could have been a lot worse and Johnny and Cipriano did an excellent job in splinting that arm right away.
- The treatment plan recommended at this late stage included splinting the hand in an intrinsic-plus position and observation to allow definitive demarcation of the involved parts of the left hand.
More definitions of splintDefinition of splint in:
- The British & World English dictionary