- (Of a candidate or minority party) attract votes from another candidate or party with the result that both are defeated by a third.More example sentences
- Progressives across the country were presented with an old problem - vote for a less-than-perfect Democrat, or support a noble but doomed protest candidate and risk splitting the vote.
- The major problem the Democrats had is that no less than three Democrats ran for the office, splitting the vote and media attention between them.
- She stood as an Independent instead, splitting the vote.
More definitions of split the voteDefinition of split the vote in:
- The British & World English dictionary