Definition of splitter in English:
1A person or thing occupied in or designed for splitting something: a log splitter
More example sentences
- When it came time to test its first mango splitter, OXO identified the most common varieties of mango sold in the United States and designed the splitter accordingly.
- Malone Engineering currently produces post drivers, toppers, log splitters, power-type transport boxes in a range of sizes.
- He had two or three chain saws and even a log splitter hooked up to the back of his tractor.
1.1A person, especially a taxonomist, who attaches more importance to differences than to similarities in classification. Contrasted with lumper.
- Charles Darwin divided taxonomists into lumpers and splitters.
- One sometimes sees the difference between splitters and lumpers presented as one of taste and personality.
- And sometimes both versions co-exist (as with the splitters and the lumpers) and are found in different text books.
Words that rhyme with splitterbitter, committer, critter, embitter, emitter, fitter, flitter, fritter, glitter, gritter, hitter, jitter, knitter, litter, permitter, pitta, quitter, remitter, sitter, skitter, slitter, spitter, submitter, titter, transmitter, twitter, witter
Definition of splitter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.