- Make a soft splashing sound as one moves: he sploshed across the roadMore example sentences
- And, next I knew, he was donning his outdoor boots and slipping out of the door to carry out a wild summer night dance, sploshing along a crunchy path of snails and over a slimy carpet of slugs.
- For the best chance of sport pick a balmy night and fish long into the early hours when the biggest fish can be heard sploshing in the darkness.
- She stomped out into the mud, splishing and sploshing.
nounBack to top
- 1A soft splashing sound: a quiet sploshMore example sentences
- Soon we'll be mooring up in a secluded creek where we'll drink champagne to the soothing sounds of water clucking against boat and the occasional splosh of a jumping fish.
- And then you surface with a splosh and for a few brief seconds, everything's still blurry as you blink the water from your eyes.
- And if I ever fall off a cliff it will be a cry of ‘aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee’ before the inevitable splosh or splat.
- 1.1A splash of liquid: sploshes of wineMore example sentences
- Add the stock and two or three sploshes of Worcester Sauce, mixing all the while, bring to a gentle boil, and cook until the sauce begins to reduce.
- A blue worm threading its way through sploshes of paint leaves me cold.
- Okay, so I survive on instant with a splosh of semi-skimmed and a chemical sweetener, but I'm sure I would appreciate the finer qualities of real coffee if only someone would come round to my house every hour on the hour and make me a cup.
mid 19th century: imitative.
More definitions of sploshDefinition of splosh in:
- The British & World English dictionary