- 1Each of the bars or wire rods connecting the center of a wheel to its outer edge.More example sentences
- A large, open circle at the front connects with an outside wheel by means of spokes, some straight and some angled, which have been painted yellow, orange, green or black.
- China may only have blunt weapons with which to handle overheating - the economic equivalent of pushing a walking stick into the spokes of a bicycle's front wheel.
- It was in this act of destruction, where the spokes of the bicycle splintered off, that I came to know the material.
- 1.2Each of the metal rods in an umbrella to which the material is attached.More example sentences
- The umbrella, with its protective cloth stripped off and the spokes spread uselessly in the air, is thus a poignant and recurrent emblem of the dangers that lie in the rift between words and objects.
Old English spāca; related to Dutch speek, German Speiche, from the base of spike1.