- A North American freshwater turtle with few or numerous yellow spots on the carapace. Once abundant, especially along the east coast of the US, the spotted turtle is protected in many areas.
More example sentences
- Clemmys guttata, family Emydidae
- For the last three years she has been researching spotted turtles and their behavior at Beidler Forest.
- For green tree frogs, spotted turtles, and American toads, the new woods provide cover and small depressions, which fill with water just in time for breeding season.
- So many spotted turtles are taken from the wild and sold as pets.