Definition of springbok in English:
A gazelle with a characteristic habit of leaping (pronking) when disturbed, forming large herds on arid plains in southern Africa.
- Antidorcas marsupialis, family Bovidae
- Afterwards, I sit on my terrace and watch what may be kudus, springboks or oryxes amble to the water hole.
- We have impalas and springboks here at the zoo.
- Young springbok leap across our path during a canter through light sand dotted with grassy tufts.
Late 18th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch springen 'to spring' + bok 'antelope'.
Definition of springbok in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.