Definition of sprite in English:
1An elf or fairy.
- In England the hobgoblin was as helpful a sprite as the brownie and was also known as Robin Goodfellow or Puck.
- At first, he thought he had finally lost his mind, and was seeing faeries and sprites.
- They were once the ancient guardians of the forests, along with dryads and sprites.
2A computer graphic that may be moved on-screen and otherwise manipulated as a single entity.
- It was a CD for kids, which used cartoon sprites to teach basic computing skills.
- The graphics are 2D sprites and tiled backgrounds instead of a 3D engine that most modern games use.
- The computer sprites can't yet convey enough emotion for you to care about them.
3A faint flash, typically red, sometimes emitted in the upper atmosphere over a thunderstorm owing to the collision of high-energy electrons with air molecules.
- Occurring in the middle of the atmosphere, red sprites look like the stems of carrots, while blue jets are small streaks of light with flared ends like the horn of trumpet.
- TGFs have been correlated with lightning strikes and may be related to visible phenomena that occur in the upper atmosphere over thunderstorms, such as red sprites and blue jets.
- Space controllers are aware of unusual atmospheric phenomena called sprites, a form of lightning that flashes into space above thunder clouds.
Middle English: alteration of sprit, a contraction of spirit.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia