Definition of spruce budworm in English:
The brown caterpillar of a small North American moth that is a serious pest of spruce and other conifers.
- Choristoneura fumiferana, family Tortricidae
- Without these insect eaters, there would likely be more severe outbreaks of spruce budworms, which could devastate both commercially and recreationally important forests throughout the northern Midwest.
- In a 1940 report, he drew attention to the damaging effect of the spruce budworm in the Miramichi region during the epidemic of the 1920s.
- In New Brunswick, the spraying of the spruce budworm began in 1952 as a short-term containment strategy.
Definition of spruce budworm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan