- 1.1 Anatomy Relating to, consisting of, or denoting a layer of epithelium that consists of very thin flattened cells: squamous cell carcinomaMore example sentences
- In some areas, the glandular epithelium showed squamous and transitional cell metaplasia.
- These cells, about 40 m in diameter and termed primary oocytes, are enclosed within a single layer of squamous cells, forming a primordial follicle.
- Differential cell counts were made by examining 500 nucleated cells, excluding squamous and bronchial epithelial cells.
- 1.2 [attributive] Anatomy Denoting the flat portion of the temporal bone that forms part of the side of the skull.More example sentences
- The squamous part of the temporal bone may exhibit a sizable, extra process just anterior to the external acoustic meatus, called the postglenoid process.
late Middle English: from Latin squamosus, from squama 'scale'.
More definitions of squamousDefinition of squamous in:
- The British & World English dictionary