1A rotating cylindrical cage in which a small captive animal can exercise as on a treadmill.
- A defining trait of the system is that it is a kind of giant squirrel cage.
- The animal is placed inside a big squirrel cage which revolves when the creature runs.
- I could blame it on my stinking corporate day job, which admittedly has been keeping me scrambling around like the proverbial mouse in the squirrel cage.
1.1A monotonous or repetitive activity or way of life: running madly about in a squirrel cage of activity
More example sentences
- Schor talks about capitalism's ‘squirrel cage,’ the work-and-spend middle-class affliction instilled by capitalism, but in the end she doubts whether this cycle can be radically disrupted.
- In her 1963 bestseller The Feminine Mystique, Betty Friedan wrote about ‘the problem that has no name,’ the dissatisfaction that housewives experienced as trapped in the ‘squirrel cage’ of marriage.
- Few things draw us out of the revolving squirrel cages of our minds and out into the nerve endings of our skin better than that.
1.2A form of rotor used in small electric motors, resembling a cylindrical cage.
- Single-layer films are most common, commercial growers often set up a system with two layers of polyethylene and inflate an airspace in between (with a small squirrel-cage fan), which provides some insulation.
- The majority of squirrel cage induction motors employ an integrally cast aluminum rotor.
- Additionally, some Maytag dehumidifier models use ‘squirrel cage’ types of fans for blowing out the dried air, making Maytag dehumidifiers more efficient than most.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: squir·rel cage
Definition of squirrel cage in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.