Definition of stable fly in English:
A bloodsucking fly related to the housefly, biting large mammals including humans.
- Stomoxis calcitrans, family Muscidae
- House flies, stable flies and blow flies may be pests of dairy cattle kept on lots.
- You probably will recognize some of the suspects: horsefly/deer fly, stable fly, housefly, black fly, hornfly, face fly, culicoides, and mosquito.
- Scientists from the University of Illinois recently identified two species of parasitic wasps that may prove useful in controlling stable flies and house flies, two well-known pests in the midwest United States.
Definition of stable fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.