Definition of stair in English:
1A set of steps leading from one floor of a building to another, typically inside the building: he came up the stairs
More example sentences
- When she approached the second floor stair landing she heard rock music coming from the last room down the hall.
- On her way down the stairs she felt inside her pocket to make sure she still had the keys.
- I closed the door behind me and took the stairs down to the ground floor of the dorm building.
1.1Single step in a set of stairs: the bottom stair
More example sentences
- I sat down on the stairs, petted Cleo, leafed through my stack of mail piled in a mound on the bottom stair.
- I stepped off the bottom stair and collapsed against the wall next to it, heaving a sigh of relief.
- She sits on the bottom stair, clutching the note in her hand - eyes unseeing through the tears suspended on their surface.
Words that rhyme with stairaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
Definition of stair in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.