Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of staker in English:
1A person who gambles money on the outcome of a game or race.
- The staker finds himself in perpetual confusion as to how he arrives at picking his winning numbers.
- The staker has full control over how their cash is played.
2Canadian A person who makes a mining claim.
- By the end of 1898 roughly 30,000 prospectors had gone barging into the Klondike region, which would give up more than $22 million of its golden booty in 1900 alone - $733.33 for every claim staker and sand sifter in the joint.
- To stake a claim, a staker must have a prospecting licence.
- On boundary posts write (preferably in pencil): the letters "BP"; the name of the claim; the name of the staker; and the time and date the post was located.
Words that rhyme with stakeracre, baker, breaker, Chandrasekhar, faker, forsaker, Jamaica, Laker, maker, nacre, partaker, Quaker, raker, saker, shaker, taker, undertaker, waker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.