- A sterile or abortive stamen, frequently resembling a stamen without its anther.More example sentences
- The cocoa flower has five free sepals, five free petals, five staminodes, five stamens and an ovary of five united carpels.
- In abnormal male flowers, stamens develop as carpelloid structures, whilst in abnormal female flowers, the staminodes (vestigial stamens) develop as pseudocarpel structures.
- Pistillate flowers have the same perianth but the number of parts is more variable; staminodes are well developed with or without a rudimentary anther.
More definitions of staminodeDefinition of staminode in:
- The British & World English dictionary