Definition of stand back in English:
1Withdraw from a situation emotionally in order to view it more objectively.
- It is time to stand back from a situation that has gained acceptability through long familiarity and reappraise it objectively.
- Only by standing back and viewing the evidence as a whole can one properly reach a conclusion.
- He's also able to stand back and be objective and will always challenge me if he thinks something is not quite right.
1.1 another way of saying stand aside above.
- We cannot just stand back and allow those who have money or those who crave influence turn this country into a backwater.
- After the initial expression of concern, the government stood back and allowed the bid to run its course.
- Bemused shoppers looked on as a vehicle in the Salford Shopping City car park was sprayed with graffiti and smashed up by a hooded man as police stood back.
Definition of stand back in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan