- Keep guard or control access to a place.More example sentences
- Because of security woes, classes began two weeks late this year, with armed guards standing sentry at school gates.
- The number of security guards patrolling its eastern borders exceeds those standing sentry on the closely watched border between the US and Mexico.
- Relaxed Chinese guards armed with automatic rifles were standing sentry at the 217-meter-long bridge.
More definitions of stand sentryDefinition of stand sentry in:
- The British & World English dictionary