- The form of the English language widely accepted as the usual correct form: children often use native forms at home and speak standard English at schoolMore example sentences
- The dialect poems for which he is best remembered were written largely between 1834 and 1867; his standard English poems, written before and after those dates, were preferred by his publisher, Macmillan, and by Hardy.
- In ordinary social settings, Bajans prefer to speak Bajan, but when the occasion warrants it, they slip into a language that is more nearly standard English.
- The influential standard English of Johnson and Austen was also produced by and productive of emerging constructs of nation and empire.
More definitions of standard EnglishDefinition of standard English in:
- The British & World English dictionary