1A growing crop, especially of a grain.
- Ridges are usually reformed yearly by cultivation of the standing crop in June.
- Before tax was levied on the harvested crop, the land was surveyed and the standing crop was measured.
- Crop circles are areas of standing crops that have been flattened in the shape of a circle, or more complex designs
1.1 Ecology The total biomass of an ecosystem or any of its components at a given time.
- The early downward drift of carbon dioxide levels may be explained as the gradual accumulation of a standing crop of plant biomass in and around fresh waters and tidal regions.
- Importance of grazing as a cause of spatial variation in food abundance is further supported by substantially greater removal of vegetation by geese in areas with lowest standing crops.
- Low water temperatures in early spring also result in lower standing crops of macro-invertebrates in prairie wetlands than after conditions become more moderate.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: stand·ing crop
Definition of standing crop in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.