1An order or ruling governing the procedures of a society, council, or other deliberative body.
- The EP's Rules of Procedure, the standing orders of the Parliament, set numerical criteria for group formation.
- The Scottish parliament standing orders help cage its backbenchers.
- The standing orders of the German parliament expressly prescribe that each parliamentary faction is entitled to fill a post of deputy president.
2A military order or ruling that is retained irrespective of changing conditions.
- The soldiers carried with them CDF standing orders outlining the conditions under which a soldier might shoot.
- We have an environmental officer who looks after road movement and any restrictions placed on us by range control and ensures that we comply with range standing orders.
- The unit became an independent force, answering directly to MG Groves, going wherever necessary in the European theater, and overriding all standing orders.
Definition of standing order in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.