- 1The end of a rope in a ship’s rigging that is made fast, as distinct from the end to be hauled on.More example sentences
- He makes it fast to the cable - he reeves the jeer-fall through it - the jeer-fall is brought to the capstan, with the standing part belayed to the bitts.
- 1.1(In knot-tying) the main part of the rope as opposed to the free end.More example sentences
- Instead, have a doubled piece of whipping twine handy and after pulling the tag end of the mono down between the two standing parts, as it were, make a half-hitch around them with the length of whipping twine to jam the tag end in place.
More definitions of standing partDefinition of standing part in:
- The British & World English dictionary