1An agreement between two countries in which a debt owed by one to the other is held in abeyance for a specified period.
- The extension follows a two-week standstill agreement Genuity signed with its banks in July.
- I accordingly approached the Dominions of India and Pakistan to enter into standstill agreement with my State.
- Australia is also opposed to any standstill agreement whereby Australia will not be able to change the existing regulatory framework.
1.1An agreement between a company and a bidder for the company in which the bidder agrees to buy no more shares for a specified period.
- The difficulty with a standstill agreement is that the proportion of the market that today's ‘new and emerging services’ will command tomorrow, cannot be known.
- He was never asked to draft a standstill agreement.
- Meanwhile O'Brien has refused to sign a standstill agreement which would require e-Island to withdraw for a specified period if the Eircom board rejected its bid.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: stand·still a·gree·ment
Definition of standstill agreement in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.