Definition of stapelia in English:
A succulent African plant with large star-shaped fleshy flowers that have bold markings and a fetid carrionlike smell that attracts pollinating flies. Also called carrion flower.
- Genus Stapelia, family Asclepiadaceae
- There are several succulents: crown of thorns, Madagascar palms, stapelias, optunia sublata to name a few.
- The official name is stapelia leendertziae and it started blooming about 3 weeks ago.
- The garden has fairly comprehensive collections of succulent plants like haworthias, gasterias, stapelias, huernias, duvalias, adeniums, pachypodiums, tylecodons, lithops and other mesembs.
modern Latin, named after Jan Bode von Stapel (died 1636), Dutch botanist.
Definition of stapelia in:
- British & World English dictionary