1A small star-shaped fruit with one seed in each arm. It has an aniseed flavor and is used unripe as a spice in Asian cooking.
- Add the carrot juice, gingerroot, star anise, lemon and orange zest, and chile powder.
- Place the huckleberries, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, and cardamom seeds in a medium bowl.
- Bring the caster sugar and 500 ml of water to the boil in a medium saucepan, then add the lemon juice, stem ginger, star anise and the vanilla pod.
2The small Chinese evergreen tree from which star anise is obtained. Also called Chinese anise.
- Illicium verum, family Illiciaceae.
- Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.
- In the meantime, there is no short-term supply relief in sight, because star anise trees take years to mature.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: star an·ise
Definition of star anise in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.