- An explosive projectile designed to burst in the air and light up an enemy’s position.More example sentences
- The lightships would fire at regular intervals a star shell timed to explode at 6440 feet.
- The 81 mm was tested in the Caribbean and found to be much more effective in this role than the 3-inch gun firing star shells and could be fired at a higher rate.
- By 5.22 pm Scharnhorst was surrounded and illuminated by star shells as heavy guns and torpedoes pounded into her, setting her ablaze end to end.
More definitions of star shellDefinition of star shell in:
- The British & World English dictionary