Definition of starchy in English:
adjective (starchier, starchiest)
1(Of food or diet) containing a relatively high amount of starch.
- The Shambaa diet is composed of starchy foods such as rice, maize, and sweet potatoes.
- The Sherpa diet is dominated by starchy foods, supplemented by vegetables, spices, and occasionally meat.
- However, beware of adding more starchy foods to your diet just because they are ‘low carb.’
2(Of clothing) stiff with starch.
- He was dressed in a very starchy white shirt that seemed two sizes too big and very ugly pants that seemed to be made of burlap.
- The typical Utah outfit consists of a starchy white shirt, a pair of pleated khaki pants that hit the leg just above the ankle, a brown belt and brown shoes.
- Dresses also feature in the show, from starchy Victorian frocks to stylish evening numbers, reflecting the changing fashions of the early 20th century.
2.1 informal Very stiff, formal, or prim in manner or character: the manager is usually a bit starchy
More example sentences
- This whole mess is presided over by Anne Robinson, a prim, starchy, offensive Englishwoman who asks the questions while berating the contestants with wooden taunts and denigrating comments.
- It's a bit starchy and formal.
- She was just way, way too prim and starchy for me.
- Example sentences
- In May, the FISA court starchily rejected the Justice Department's proposed new guidelines.
- The dullest piece here is a starchily respectful profile of Krishna Menon, the high commissioner in London for the Dominion of India.
- And there's at least one goofy-great moment, as Sagnier coaxes Rampling to starchily bop around to a thumping techno song with the refrain of ‘Let's do it!’
- Example sentences
- Once cooked, the flesh is almost fluffy, like a sweet potato - but without so much starchiness.
- The starchiness which characterized the East Coast elite in the 1950s has gone, he says.
- Tossed in a hot pan for a scant five minutes, the sprouts soften and give up their starchiness, wilting into a warm slaw scented with white wine and citrus.
Words that rhyme with starchyhibachi, Karachi, Liberace, vivace
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.