Definition of startling in English:
Very surprising, astonishing, or remarkable: he bore a startling likeness to their father she had startling blue eyes
More example sentences
- Lexa was about to respond to this startling remark, but a new arrival beat her to it.
- The sugary flanks of the mountains sit out with startling clarity across the valley.
- The results, always impertinent and delightful, can be both startling and surprising.
- [as submodifier]: a startlingly good memoryMore example sentences
- The weather was wonderful and the air conditioning startlingly efficient (bordering on a bit chilly).
- This became startlingly apparent the following Friday night - exactly a week after I'd dropped the bombshell.
- And major efforts by dedicated producer-directors can result in startlingly impressive results.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.