Definition of startling in English:
Very surprising, astonishing, or remarkable: he bore a startling likeness to their father she had startling blue eyes
More example sentences
- Lexa was about to respond to this startling remark, but a new arrival beat her to it.
- The sugary flanks of the mountains sit out with startling clarity across the valley.
- The results, always impertinent and delightful, can be both startling and surprising.
- [as submodifier]: a startlingly good memoryMore example sentences
- The weather was wonderful and the air conditioning startlingly efficient (bordering on a bit chilly).
- This became startlingly apparent the following Friday night - exactly a week after I'd dropped the bombshell.
- And major efforts by dedicated producer-directors can result in startlingly impressive results.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan