adjective[usually postpositive] Heraldry
- (Of an animal) standing with all four paws on the ground.More example sentences
- In his Pride reserved for peacocks, it is shown statant affronty with the tail feathers spread.
- As a rule of thumb, most birds are statant close by default; see specific entries for exceptions to this.
- A lion statant gardant on the royal crown, with the words FOR VALOUR on a semi circular scroll.
late 15th century: formed irregularly from Latin stat- 'fixed, stationary' (from the verb stare 'to stand') + -ant.
More definitions of statantDefinition of statant in:
- The British & World English dictionary