Definition of state secret in English:
1A sensitive issue or piece of information that is kept secret by the government, usually to protect the public.
- Provider of unauthorised access to personal data or a state secret, along with the disclosure of a user password will serve between one to three years' imprisonment.
- Its contents continue to be a heavily guarded state secret.
- Actual death penalty statistics are a closely guarded state secret.
1.1 humorous A piece of information, usually of a trivial or personal nature, that is closely guarded and desired to be kept private: she thought her affair with the boss was a state secret, but we all giggled about it behind her back
More example sentences
- She also owns an iPod, although her playlist is a closely-guarded state secret.
Definition of state secret in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan