Definition of stately in English:
adjective (statelier, stateliest)
Having a dignified, unhurried, and grand manner; majestic in manner and appearance: a stately procession his tall and stately wife
More example sentences
- The Cathedral itself was just as beautiful, in a more grand and stately manner.
- Before long, Hoffman found himself in the grand lobby of a stately mansion.
- They are released now by officials anxious to dispel the myth that bishops, some of whom still occupy grand palaces and stately castles, enjoy a life of luxury.
- Example sentences
- At a universal level both the Sun and Leo are associated with royalty, majesty, stateliness, dignity, and authority.
- It is wisdom we need in a leader more than stateliness.
- The queen has, in a way, always, curiously for the last 50 years, had to share her stateliness with her mother, the queen mother with all her magnetic powers of popular attraction.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan