- A large and fine house that is occupied or was formerly occupied by an aristocratic family.More example sentences
- This weekend sees the second Salisbury Motor Show to be held in the picturesque grounds of Wilton House, the stately home of the Pembroke family.
- Elsewhere many visitors strolled around the gardens of stately homes like Castle Howard and Harewood House, enjoying what could be the last warm day of the year.
- There are prehistoric graves, standing stones, crumbling monasteries and castles, churches, stately homes and more humble dwellings from bygone times, and much of it close to hand.
More definitions of stately homeDefinition of stately home in:
- The British & World English dictionary