- An ancient Greek gold or silver coin.More example sentences
- They were largely imitations of Gaulish coins, themselves imitations of Greek staters.
- Arriving in Athens, the son of Sopaeus was introduced to the banker Pasion, with whom he deposited his money, as much as 1,000 gold staters.
- The 4th-century BC staters of Phillip II and Alexander III of Macedon provided the prototypes for coins in Europe which developed their own sequence based on the use of Celtic arts and local designs.
via late Latin from Greek statēr, from a base meaning 'weigh'.
More definitions of staterDefinition of stater in:
- The British & World English dictionary