- 1 [usually treated as singular] The branch of mechanics concerned with bodies at rest and forces in equilibrium. Compare with dynamics ( sense 1).More example sentences
- He had published a number of works on geometry, mechanics and statics beginning with Eléments de statique in 1803 and following this with: -
- He also studied applications of mechanics and statics to geometric systems.
- At the University of Berlin Joachimsthal taught courses on analytic geometry and calculus, giving more advanced courses on the theory of surfaces, the calculus of variations, statics and analytic mechanics.
- 2 another term for static.
More definitions of staticsDefinition of statics in:
- The British & World English dictionary