- 1A calcareous particle in the statocysts of invertebrates that stimulates sensory receptors in response to gravity, so enabling balance and orientation.More example sentences
- They have these little statoliths or balance organs in the back of their head and we can section those and look under a microscope and have daily rings just like tree rings in a tree stump.
- The combination of the statocysts and the statolith aids the mussel in maintaining equilibrium by sensing gravity.
- Thus, a model for gravitropism in stem-like organs is proposed in which F-actin modulates the gravity response by actively participating in statolith repositioning within the endodermal statocytes.
- 1.1 another term for otolith.
More definitions of statolithDefinition of statolith in:
- The British & World English dictionary