- A brown glassy mineral that occurs as hexagonal prisms often twinned in the shape of a cross. It consists of a silicate of aluminum and iron.More example sentences
- They have parallel bright shiny mica wrapping round large grains of pink garnet, brown staurolite, or blue kyanite.
- Metamorphic xenotime and monazite were identified in 13 pelite samples that also contain garnet, staurolite, kyanite, quartz, ilmenite and micas, as well as in four sandstone samples.
- Petrographical evidence establishes that peak thermal metamorphism produced largely random growth of kyanite, staurolite, biotite, monazite and xenotime that overprinted those fabrics.
early 19th century: from Greek stauros 'cross' + -lite.
More definitions of stauroliteDefinition of staurolite in:
- The British & World English dictionary