1Giving off steam: a basin of steaming water
More example sentences
- Place the wedges in a steaming basket over boiling water.
- Kendall let out a slow sigh and turned to face Elma who had returned to her boiling kettle of water, lifting out steaming clothing with a thick stick.
- Pouring water over a steaming engine that was in danger of spurting boiling jets of vapor with the wrong timing of a pour.
2 informal Very angry.
- I am fuming, steaming, spitting fire, yup I'm angry and it's not often I ‘do’ angry.
3British informal Extremely drunk.
- She said she could not remember what she had done because she was ‘blind steaming drunk’.
- The other four girls seemed nice, all of them were steaming drunk - as was I and all were glad they'd worn thongs.
adverb(as submodifier steaming hot)
- The main criteria for late-night takeout is that it be spicy hot and steaming hot.
- A sharp knock in the morning and steaming hot tea would wake us up to another glorious day - the sun emerging from behind mist wreathed hills.
- He thinks, too, of pumpkin pie and fresh harvested honey and steaming hot cocoa.
Words that rhyme with steamingDeeming, scheming
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of steaming in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.