Definition of steaming in English:
1Giving off steam: a basin of steaming water
More example sentences
- Place the wedges in a steaming basket over boiling water.
- Kendall let out a slow sigh and turned to face Elma who had returned to her boiling kettle of water, lifting out steaming clothing with a thick stick.
- Pouring water over a steaming engine that was in danger of spurting boiling jets of vapor with the wrong timing of a pour.
3British informal Extremely drunk.
- She said she could not remember what she had done because she was ‘blind steaming drunk’.
- The other four girls seemed nice, all of them were steaming drunk - as was I and all were glad they'd worn thongs.
adverb(as submodifier steaming hot) Back to top
- The main criteria for late-night takeout is that it be spicy hot and steaming hot.
- A sharp knock in the morning and steaming hot tea would wake us up to another glorious day - the sun emerging from behind mist wreathed hills.
- He thinks, too, of pumpkin pie and fresh harvested honey and steaming hot cocoa.
Words that rhyme with steamingDeeming, scheming
Definition of steaming in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan