(also steinbok or steenbuck)
Definition of steenbok in English:
A small African antelope with large ears, a small tail, and smooth upright horns.
- Raphiceros campestris, family Bovidae
- It now houses more than 20 of the zoo's animals, including five white lions, sitatungas, antelope, deer, meerkats, a baby steenbok and an aviary with more than 100 species of birds.
- The Reserve is stocked with small game - blesbok, mountain reebok, duiker, klipspringer and steenbok, as well as the small creatures: mongoose, tortoise and genet.
- We had already seen a couple of rhinos, a small steenbok and a pair of battleur eagles when the call came through on the radio from one of the other vehicles: ‘Lions, lions, zebra kill, zebra kill!’
late 18th century: from Dutch, from steen 'stone' + bok 'buck'.
Definition of steenbok in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia