(also steinbok or steenbuck)
Definition of steenbok in English:
A small African antelope with large ears, a small tail, and smooth upright horns.
- Raphiceros campestris, family Bovidae
- It now houses more than 20 of the zoo's animals, including five white lions, sitatungas, antelope, deer, meerkats, a baby steenbok and an aviary with more than 100 species of birds.
- The Reserve is stocked with small game - blesbok, mountain reebok, duiker, klipspringer and steenbok, as well as the small creatures: mongoose, tortoise and genet.
- We had already seen a couple of rhinos, a small steenbok and a pair of battleur eagles when the call came through on the radio from one of the other vehicles: ‘Lions, lions, zebra kill, zebra kill!’
Late 18th century: from Dutch, from steen 'stone' + bok 'buck'.
Words that rhyme with steenbokgemsbok • rhebok
Definition of steenbok in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.