- Any of a class of saturated polycyclic hydrocarbons that are found in crude oils and are derived from the sterols of ancient organisms.More example sentences
- This biomarker group is, like the steranes, characterized by numerous maturity-sensitive stereoisomers.
- But because steranes are commonly degraded by bacteria, they are of limited use.
- Contrary to expectation, the relative abundance of steranes seems to be lower than that of the hopanoids, with the variety of hopanoid structures greatly outnumbering those of the steranes.
More definitions of steraneDefinition of sterane in:
- The British & World English dictionary