Definition of stereospondyl in English:
An extinct amphibian with a broad flat head, occurring in the Permian and Triassic periods.
- Suborder Stereospondyli, order Temnospondyli: several families
- One lineage of stereospondyls, the Trematosauridae, actually took up a life in the oceans, the only stem tetrapods ever to have done so.
- Somewhere between the granddaddy stereospondyl and Trematosaurus there is a branch leading to hundreds of other species of stereospondyl, including metoposaurs, plagiosaurs, batrachosaurs and many, many others.
- The exhibit showed the flat skull of the stereospondyls and explained that they had large and unusually flat skulls and that the bones were solidly fused.
Definition of stereospondyl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan