Definition of stereospondyl in English:
An extinct amphibian with a broad flat head, occurring in the Permian and Triassic periods.
- Suborder Stereospondyli, order Temnospondyli: several families
- One lineage of stereospondyls, the Trematosauridae, actually took up a life in the oceans, the only stem tetrapods ever to have done so.
- Somewhere between the granddaddy stereospondyl and Trematosaurus there is a branch leading to hundreds of other species of stereospondyl, including metoposaurs, plagiosaurs, batrachosaurs and many, many others.
- The exhibit showed the flat skull of the stereospondyls and explained that they had large and unusually flat skulls and that the bones were solidly fused.
Early 20th century: from modern Latin Stereospondyli (plural), from Greek stereos 'solid' + spondulos 'vertebra'.
Definition of stereospondyl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.