noun (plural sterigmata /-mətə/)Botany
- (In some fungi) a spore-bearing projection from a cell.More example sentences
- Wild-type conidiophores are radially symmetrical and consist of a stalk with a single vesicle from which multiple primary sterigmata bud.
- From the vesicle forms a layer of primary sterigmata called metulae.
- There are usually four sterigmata (and four spores) to a basidium.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek stērigma 'a support', from stērizein 'to support'.
More definitions of sterigmaDefinition of sterigma in:
- The British & World English dictionary