- Backward movement of a ship: we begin making sternway toward the shoalMore example sentences
- If this does not work, but results in sternway, shove the tiller clear over to the opposite side.
- You do not want to make headway or sternway but simply pivot with a continuous motion.
- As you begin lowering the anchor, the helmsman can shift the engine into idle reverse, so that the vessel just begins making slight sternway about the time the anchor reaches the bottom.
More definitions of sternwayDefinition of sternway in:
- The British & World English dictionary