Definition of stewed in English:
1(Of food) cooked slowly in liquid in a closed dish or pan: stewed apples
More example sentences
- For dessert, many dishes include fried or stewed bananas.
- Standard dishes such as stewed beef and home-style bean curd are frequently requested here.
- This was served with a dish of stewed potatoes and turnips - a great complement to the flavorful meat, which was rosy and tender in places, wonderfully crispy and smoky in others.
1.1 [predicative] informal Drunk: we got stewed at their party
1.2British (Of tea) tasting strong and bitter because of prolonged brewing.
- It seems strange to me, a visitor, that the stewed tea, rigid morals and lurid wallpaper of Fifties England should jump cultures so easily, but why not?
- They made contemptibly lukewarm, stewed tea, not the burning hot, intensely flavoured medicinal liquid that made you gasp as you sipped it.
- They change to the colour of stewed tea to the point where you can't see the bottom in six inches of water.